Looking for ways to money while traveling? Interested in setting up a profitable side-business that will help to fund your adventures on the move? Here are my top six suggestions for online side-businesses you can get started with right now, that will actually make you money.
1. Set Up a Travel Blog
Let’s start off with the first thing that probably springs to mind: setting up your very own travel blog! Write about your adventures, share your favourite pictures and have fun connecting with others in the blogger world- it’s a no brainer right?!
Now with millions of travel blogs in the world, not to mention every other kind of blog, there’s going to be A LOT of competition. But that doesn’t mean there’s not room for yours. Find your unique angle, make sure you’re passionate about what you’re writing and really add your personality into it (because that in itself is what’s going to make your blog unique!)
Just bear in mind that making money from a travel blog won’t happen instantly. In fact, for some people, it doesn’t happen at all! So if you’re going to do this one: make sure you have fun with it! Set goals, have targets and a vision for where you’re going, but also enjoy the journey.
Ways To Monetise Your Travel Blog:
- Affiliate Marketing. For general networks with heaps of stores within them, some very good affiliate networks are Affiliate Window, ShareASale, CJ Affiliate and Rakuten LinkShare.
- Advertisements: For a 100% passive income stream, the most popular platform for this is Google Ads. You may also like to look at paid ads from companies, for whom you can target for this, or simply advertise the opportunity on your site itself.
- Sponsored Posts: To acquire sponsored post opportunities, first focus on growing a strong social media following and high traffic to your site. After that set up a Media Kit, and you will soon find you’re able to look into writing Sponsored Content. What you’re looking for are businesses interested in paid posts, not just ‘gifting’ for freebies. (Although that can be a bonus at times!)
- Sell Your Own Products: Feeling really entrepreneurial? Then why not set up your own store and sell your own products? This could be knowledge-based with Eguides, Courses, books, etc. Or, think outside the box with a mix of both products and services. The opportunities are endless and the great thing about this, is you get to keep all the profits yourself! (There’s no sharing like with affiliate marketing!)
2. Sell Your Travel Photos
So the chances are, if you love to travel- you’ve got pretty good at taking dreamy shots. And if you haven’t yet mastered photography, get practicing, take some courses, learn as much as you can because not only will you then be able to look back on your adventures and smile, but you could also make some good money from it as you go!
There are countless people who are willing to pay you good money for your collection of unique images you have to offer. How to Make Money from Your Travel Photos:
- Turn them into postcards, prints or calendars: a selection of products you can then sell online in your very own store.
- Sell them on stock photo websites like like Shutterstock and Fotolia for a passive income that you don’t need to market or advertise yourself. The great thing with this, is you’ll also be surprised what kind of shots people are looking for. Not all photographs need to be postcard worthy. Many businesses need them for marketing purposes so have a look into search terms and most popular picks. You may be surprised at what’s in demand!
- With a good portfolio of travel photos and if you’re particularly experienced in this area, you could even look at hosting your own photography tour. Take a group of people around some of the most popular or iconic places and show them interesting and unique vantage points to take photos. This can be pretty profitable, especially when you’ve worked on building your credibility.
For the perfect combination: try all three ideas together, for an income stream that is part business, part fun!
3. Become a Freelancer
Turn your talents into services! Got a flair for writing? Good at social media? Studied marketing? Or maybe you’d like to dabble at some design work? Know what you’re good at, build on your skill-sets and then set yourself up as a business or freelancer. Either way, you’ll be your own boss and can earn some seriously good money!
This is how I started Blue Monkey Social Media. It first began on a freelance basis as I was offering social media marketing to companies. But as the demand grew and I needed to expand with a team to help me, I moved it onto a registered company, which is now earning me well on my way to my first six-figure income.
Becoming a freelancer is honestly the best starting place. There are also great sites like Upwork, Fiverr or Freelancer where people specifically go on searching for people just like you, to get a job done! This takes away some of the pressure for sales and lead generation and can be a great support.
A few ideas to get sparks flying when it comes to potential freelancer work: web design, video editing, graphic design, photography, copywriting, personal assistant, SEO, to mention just a few. The options are endless! The key is finding something you’re good at (or could be good at with a bit of training!) and what you enjoy doing so that you can happily juggle it to make money while traveling.
4. Become a Consultant or Coach
Building on the Freelancer idea, are there opportunities for you to explore with consulting or coaching perhaps? See with freelancing, you’ll typically be selling work or services by the hour, day, or job. It’s more short-term, one offs but usually by a broader range of people. The difference between a freelancer and consultant is then that a consultant is someone who is paid to provide professional or expert advice in a particular field or specialty. This means the work is usually for a longer length of time, for a higher price and the relationships you build with your clients are far more meaningful.
Different things suit different people so I thought it was worth throwing this one out there. The industry options can range from business to personal, with Strategy Consultants, Marketing Consultants right the way to Specific Skills-Based Consultants or even Dating Consultants. This is branching into the coaching area, but that’s another great option to consider, particularly if you have the experience and any supporting qualifications.
If you’re looking at the coaching aspect, you then have the opportunity to again sell things like coaching courses, ebooks, training programmes or guides. Many of these, once you’ve put in the hard graft to create them, once they are ready, they become a great passive income stream. Build on the skill you have, package it together into something of real value and it can bring you in money on the move, with little time and effort after the initial creation process. BINGO! Because this is the kind of income streams you want!
5. Start a Drop Shipping Store
If you haven’t yet heard of it, this little gem is going to be a game changer! In a nutshell, drop shipping is an eCommerce model that allows you to open online shops without any upfront investment. Basically, using drop shipping sites you can pick out products, market and sell them on your very own site (without actually having to spend a penny on buying in stock!) then when an order is place, your supplier will handle the inventory, packing, shipping, and returns for you… You just get a piece of the pie with a percentage of the profits!
It’s a great passive income source, with zero risk bar the time you invest into it. Don’t assume it will be easy as it’s certainly not… to get the conversion you really need to make a decent amount, you have to be pretty good at digital marketing. But it’s well worth giving a go. Decide on your product range, work on your niche, search for suppliers and pull it altogether on a great new website!
Website creation you can do yourself. If you’re starting from scratch and have no website experience, I recommend working on Wix. It’s simple, easy to use and actually enables you to create pretty great sites, at an affordable price. Once you’re getting the results in, you can always invest in a WordPress site (either making it yourself with a theme: that’s how this blog was created!), or paying a website designer to build one for you. Start small and see just how big you can grow! After all, what have you got to lose?!
Drop Shipping Sites To Start Your Business:
Some of the best drop shopping sites to take a look at if you’re interested in this idea:
- Dropship Direct
- Sunrise Wholesale
- Wholesale 2B
- Wholesale Central
But make sure you also have a good hunt around for yourself too! If you’re also interested in the fashion industry and perhaps interested in having a go at some design work yourself, a no-risk platform to create and sell products on is Teespring. Worth checking out!
6. Become an Independent Travel Agent
Another no brainer if you love to travel hey? And luckily for you, this is an area that is proving more and more profitable year on year. You don’t need any specific qualifications to become a Travel Agent, but the more travel experience you have, the better! How it works? You parter with a host agency who are an accredited travel company, but become your own boss and sell trips for commission. The industry standard starts at 10% of the commissionable rate and can go as high as 40% for certain products. Also, when selling holidays, the value of these are usually pretty high which is why you can make some serious money doing this!
Now I must mention, there are higher start-up costs for this business option. Far higher than any of the other low-cost options mentioned in this post. But becoming an independent travel agent is a long-term investment and in my opinion: it’s worth it.
The key to becoming a successful travel agent is learning how to generate new leads and create repeat business. But if you’re up for an exciting new challenge, I think this one could be for you. Work anywhere in the world, in an industry you know and love!
So there we have it guys. There’s six business ideas you can set up to make money whilst traveling. I hope this starts to get the creative juices flowing! Remember: it may not be easy and none of the above are instant ‘get rich fast’ sort of things. But then what really is? If you work hard, keep the end goal in mind and don’t give up, trust me, you’ll be onto a winner!
This post just touches the surface on the opportunities at your fingertips, so have fun exploring the different options for yourself too! If you’re interested in becoming a Digital Nomad, you may want to check out this new course. Either way, whatever you decide and wherever you choose to go next, I wish you the very best of luck.
P.S. We’ve partnered with Good Loop, the ethical ads platform. Watch this short video to donate to a charity of your choice for free…